Thursday, May 11, 2017

Girl Underwater

















Girl Underwater
Kells, C. (2015). Girl underwater. New York, NY: Dutton.

Girl Underwater was recommended to me by one of my dual credit students who absolutely loved it.  My first impression and an opinion I still hold but doesn't necessarily influence my overall reaction to the book is that in setting up the story, Kells leaves some holes and gaps that aren't explained anywhere in the story.  After I got past that, however, I enjoyed the story about Avery Delacorte, a college swimmer whose plane goes down in a remote part of the Rocky Mountains.  While hoping against hope for rescue,  Avery, swim team mate Colin Shea and three little boys find themselves faced with the danger of drowning, freezing to death, starvation, and bear attacks as well various medical issues in the Rockies.  Throughout this tale of survival, the reader is given crossover glimpses into Avery's life after the crash where she is forced to deal with PTSD and her re-entry into what is her new reality.  Girl Underwater was an easy, uncomplicated read that was wrapped up into a neat little package leaving the reader with a feeling of finality.  Overall, I enjoyed the book but wouldn't consider it one I would hang onto for multiple reads.  BUT, having said that, I would definitely recommend it to patrons based on the reaction of my student.

No comments:

Post a Comment